Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sundried Tomato and Pesto Torta

When I tell you that you will not be able to stop eating this absolutely delicious appetizer I AM NOT JOKING. This torta is so delicious I could eat it for dinner with a spoon...it was the star appetizer of both parties I served it at and everyone wanted the recipe so here it is! I made this recipe my own by lightening up some of the ingredients to make it a little bit less naughty. I've made this previously using all full fat ingredients as well and it tastes identical so I prefer to go with my skinny version and eat more! I served this with mini whole wheat toasts, but it would also taste great with fresh veggie sticks, sliced baguette, or pretzel crisps. I also used my leftovers as a sandwich spread and also as cream cheese on my bagel and it was delicious. It makes A TON...which trust me is a good thing.  You can make this torta up to three days in advance but it needs to be made at least one day before because it must be refrigerated overnight. This recipe is a little bit more time consuming but if you are pressed for time you can use store bought pesto instead of making your own to cut down on time (Classico makes a great jarred pesto).

Sundried Tomato and Pesto Torta
Serves 15,  Total Time 1 hour plus needs to be refrigerated over night


  • For the Pesto:

  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts plus extra for sprinkling on top when served
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cups reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

  • For the Sun dried Tomato Spread:

  • 1/3 cup reduced fat cream cheese
  • 1 1/3 cups drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste

  • Cream Cheese Layer:

  • 2 cups reduced fat cream chesse
  • 3/4 cup light butter (I used smart balance), room temperature

  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray


Top with:
  • Fresh basil sprigs
  • Toasted pine nuts
  • Whole wheat mini toasts, Baguette slices, fresh veggies, pretzel crisps...


Here is the original recipe and directions for assembly... 

Original Sundried Tomato and Pesto Torta

Enjoy, and don't say I didn't warn you when you cant stop eating this...

No comments:

Post a Comment