Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spinach Gnocchi with Chicken, White Beans, Spinach, and Tomato

As you can tell from my recent posts there are limited things I can make here in my tiny Italian kitchen. I do not own a chefs knife to say the least...I cut my melon with a bread knife, enough said. I realize many of my recent posts are recipes that use white beans, spinach, and chicken. What can I say? To prepare beans all you need to do is open the can and rinse them which is one reason why they have become an every day diet staple to me here. 

I apologize for my recent lack of ingredient diversity, I promise to try to get a bit more creative throughout the semester. Nevertheless, this gnocchi was REALLY delicious and made a very healthy and hearty dinner tonight. I was spoiled tonight and used fresh homemade spinach gnocchi that I bought at the central market in Florence yesterday! It was incredible! Also this recipe only took me about 30 minutes from start to finish, and I have plenty of leftovers to eat tomorrow which makes this a perfect meal in my book.

Spinach Gnocchi with Chicken, White Beans, Spinach, and Tomato 
Serves 4, Total Time: 30 minutes

1 T extra virgin olive oil
4 thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into 3 inch pieces and sprinkled generously with salt and pepper
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
1 package of fresh spinach gnocchi ( I would look for it at either Whole Foods or Trader Joes)
1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes not drained 
1 bag baby spinach
Salt, pepper, and grated parmesan cheese to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until chicken is about 90 percent cooked through. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for one minute. Add the gnocchi to the pan and gently saute for 4 minutes or until done. Add the spinach. Once the spinach is wilted add the beans and the tomatoes in juice and let simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese. 

Mange!

No comments:

Post a Comment