Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Delicious Homemade "Hummus"

Ciao all! I hope you have not given up on following my blog due to my lack of recent posting! Italy is really just too great, but I promise I have not forgotten about you! I have to give credit to my roommate Alex for turning me on to the idea of making homemade hummus here in Italy. Although I have tweaked her original recipe I would have never thought of making my own hummus without her so, thanks Alex!! They do not sell Hummus in the Italian grocery stores...at least not that I have seen...I really enjoy hummus on a regular basis back home and use it as dip, a sandwich spread, or salad topper...the list is endless! However, I will probably never buy hummus from the store again! Not only is it three times the cost of making your own, but I love the texture and taste of the homemade hummus so much more than the processed store bought stuff! The reason why I have "hummus" in quotes is that my homemade hummus does not include tahini, so it is not REALLY true hummus, more like a mashed chickpea spread...This recipe is virtually fat free minus the optional addition of olive oil...I usually make this a meal and eat the whole can of chickpeas with loads of fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumber, red pepper, cherry tomato, carrots) I also dip some whole grain crackers in sometimes :) I am totally STUFFED after eating this for lunch and dinner and it is really a satisfying meal! Enjoy!!!

Delicious Homemade "Hummus" 
Prep time :15 mins Total Time: 25-30 mins 

1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed


2 cloves garlic minced

The juice from one large lemon

2 T FF plain greek yogurt


1 t extra virgin olive oil (optional)

1 t dried parsley, or 2 t fresh

Salt and pepper to taste

Loads of fresh veggies and crackers for dipping




Place the drained chickpeas and minced garlic in a medium pot. Add just enough water to cover the chickpeas and boil over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. While the beans are boiling in a small bowl combine lemon juice, greek yogurt, olive oil (optional), and parsley. When the beans and garlic are finished drain them in a colander and return them to the pot over very low heat. Add the liquids and either hand mash or use an electric mixer for an even creamer texture (unfortunately, I don't have an electric mixer here in italy) once  the ingredients are well combined, and the beans are completely mashed and creamy remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm...mmmmm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment